Thursday, February 19

Godly Play (at church!)

Forgot to post this last week... 
It has been over a year and a half since I've led Godly Play.  I can't believe it has been that long!  When we moved to Richmond we looked for a church with Godly Play in place, but that wasn't meant to be.  We love St. Matthews and I'm very excited to begin tomorrow as the storyteller  in our new little godly play room.  A few godly play supplies have arrived and more are on order.  I have an amazing team of volunteers who are willing and eager to learn about the method so we can serve our preschoolers.  After teaching in the church office and then chior robbing room in St. Andrews I'm really excited to have our own space.  I'll be sure to share some pictures along the way!

 I am at moments so very excited by the possibilities that stand before us as Godly Play takes shape and at other moments this mama of four little ones feels a little overwhelmed by all that should could be done.  But really, I'm mostly excited.  It has been so good to reread Jerome Berryman's books and to present the ideas behind Godly Play to parents and volunteers.  When I began in St. Andrews I knew some theory behind Godly Play, but had so many unanswered questions.  When I look back at some of my early posts on Godly Play in this space I grin; they are very much process pieces.  I was figuring this all out as I wrote.  I still wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch, but I've actually been trained now and have taught the majority of the lessons in volumes two through seven.  I understand the why of Godly Play on a much deeper level and it is fun place to be as I begin again.

I'm also excited about doing Godly Play regularly (every other week until we have more storytellers trained) because it will come into this space and I'm really excited to be writing about Godly Play and why I love this method.  I've been so influenced by Jamie Smith's work in Desiring the Kingdom and Imagining the Kingdom and rereading Berryman and thinking about Godly Play in light of better defined ideas about Christian Ed as a whole has given me a host of things I really want to share in this space.

2 comments:

Storyteller Easterkind said...

I'll look forward to these posts! :)

EricaG said...

I just ordered volume one!