Saturday, July 27

Eating a Fairy Tale Forest

I don't always enjoy getting dinner on the table, but I do love adventures with food.  New recipes, creative ideas and making yummy meals when I have time to cook, is fun!  So when I stumbled on The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Molly Katzen at a yard sale I was excited.  Molly Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook is our most loved and the most used cookbook in my collection.

Rowan was my assigned kitchen helper the other day and he and I assembled a broccoli forest (basically a vegetarian, whole foods rice casserole with broccoli trees stuck here and there).  I also made some Graham crackers (recipe also from the Enchanted Broccoli Forest, but I add water as I find the recipe to dry) and cut them like the three bears, a house, and Goldilocks on the sly.

So dinner began with a fairy tale with a twist at the end (a daddy giant ate the protagonist - which my boys thought quite funny.)  Anyway, I got to thinking that there are lots of fairy tales and other stories that could be told this way (if you are okay with a little playing with your food).  You could even do some godly play with a rice desert... though you might want to be thoughtful about the eating part.  Then again, we do eat the body and blood of Christ at communion, so maybe its not so different.



1 comment:

Kristy said...

Cute idea! I've been enjoying your frequent posts lately. I hope you are enjoying Richmond so far!