Saturday, July 28

Saturday at L'Abri

I'm writing about a week at L'Abri.  One day at a time.

Saturday.

The days here are certainly rhythmic.  Work, Study and lunch in between.  To be honest I can't remember exactly what happened last Saturday.  I know we caught a lizard that day (because I have a photo) and I know I went to lunch at Bellevue (because I do that every Saturday).  A student or two often come over for coffee after lunch on Saturday and Tuesday.  I think last Saturday a couple students came over to talk to Jim about theology and art.  They discussed Jeremy Begbie's work (if you want to have an overview of art and theology his book Voicing Creation's Praise is a great one to read) and discussed the idea of seeing the artist as prophet (there are pluses and minuses to this approach I think). We've particularly enjoyed talking to students about the things we love - art, counseling, christian education and love asking the question together of "What does it mean to live in the Kingdom of God on a daily basis?"

We had dinner at home and ended up on the balcony after the boys were in bed.  Watching the sun set and pink slowly creep across the mountains.  Sometimes it seems impossible that we would be in this place.  Just as the beauty of the alps continues to astonish me, the fit of this ministry to all we love and hope to share with others is so clear and energizing it is shaping our dreams for the future (not that I know exactly what or where that means).   It has been so good to be here for a whole term.  I've discovered that this place is what we imagined it to be, a place of hospitality, learning and christian community.  On the other hand, I've also discovered (as I would have expected to) that this place is imperfect and challenging at times too.  Yet, there is a deep honesty running through this place which allows imperfection, which is a very good thing (even if it isn't always comfortable).
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't even imagine how beautiful it must be there!