Monday, June 21

Linens for our Little Kitchen

I had so much fun making these little accessories for Jonah's kitchen. They were all made from scraps I had around, and while I had pictured doing something completely red, black and white; the blue from the cowboy prints crept in and so I added a bit of denim too. I'll write in some sewing notes below the photos.
The tea towel was a cast-off shirt that had been cut up for something else; I hemed a rectangle and added a bit of trim. The pot holders and rug were make-it-up as you go quilting. The rug is backed with canvas and has some thick cotton knit from a cast-off shirt as batting, so it is pretty heavy weight. It is tied off and bound with extra wide double fold bias tape.
The placemats are canvas with the cotton patchwork squares. I used a water soluble marker to trace around Jonah's dishes (renewable rubber wood by plan toys) and then stitched around the outline. They are backed with old jeans and I used bias tape and a zig-zag stitch to bind the edges. Simple, fun and hopefully they will assist him learning how to set the table properly.
And some wool felt food, which Jonah thought was funny. I had made the pancakes a while ago and decided to hand stitch some eggs and sausage. I think it would be fun to make green eggs and ham sometime too.

4 comments:

The Egan Family said...

I LOVE the sausages! :-)

Sonjus said...

Emily, you are my hero!!! I love your creativity and skill. Wow!! Your boys sure have a great mama. :)

Watkins said...

Thanks. It was a fun birthday present to make, but to be honest, Jonah hasn't played with it much. The remote control car, binoculars, sub... from grandparents/uncles are much more his speed. Oh well, I had fun and maybe he'll get back to it when the newness of the other toys wears off.

Anna Blanch said...

So creative Emily - i love it!