Wednesday, March 3

Favorite Winter Books 2: Owl Moon

Right after Jim and I were married we moved to Vancouver to both attend seminary. We didn't take everything we owned, which was good as our tiny hobbit home apartment was bursting at the seams as it was. Most of my childhood books were packed away, but I took a couple boxes of them along. I remember unpacking them and Jim wondering why we needed a whole shelf of children's books as we didn't have any children and weren't planning on any till after seminary (I know, it didn't work out that way, but that is another story). I explained there were two reasons for them. First, I wanted our home to be hospitable to children and the eight year old who lived above us spent many hours reading books with me. Second, it was important to me to have some beautiful picture books with me. I love children's literature because of my own childhood love of stories, as a student who wants to learn all I can about children's literature, as a children's pastor who wants good stories to point children and families to, and most recently as a mother.

I realized when at a large bookstore over the holidays how much I feel the loss of good libraries and well stocked, child friendly book stores (where I am a chronic browser). I also miss my subscription to the Horn Book and need some way to keep thinking about and sharing children's literature. So one of things I want to use this blog for right now is to share some of our favorite stories.

One of the books that made its way to Vancouver with us was Owl Moon by Jane Yolen. She is one of my favorite children's authors and I love what she writes on children's literature as well. My mom gave me this book one christmas. I don't remember what year, but I was a lot older than most children to whom one would think to gift a picture book. I liked it then and I love it now. It is a beautiful depiction of winter and of a father and daughter enjoying nature and the words are enchanting.

"...and for a moment we both listened .
But there was no answer.
Pa shrugged
and I shrugged.
I was not disappointed.
My brothers all said sometimes there's and owl
and sometimes there isn't"
"When you go owling
you don't need words
or warm
or anything but hope.
That's what Pa says.
The kind of hope
that flies
on silent wings
under a shining
Owl Moon."


The words of this book are magical and the illustrations have an element of mystery and are calm all at the same time. It is the kind of book that exemplifies the kind of relationship I want my children to have with creation - awe filled, comfortable, and expectant.

No comments: