Saturday, December 27

Homemade Christmas

Well, after arriving we realized that we didn't bring anything for Christmas.  No stockings, no nativity, no ornaments... so I began from scratch and I think it has been one of my favorite holidays in the way of decorating.  Part of this is probably that I had time and a nice place to decorate.  
Mom sent us wool felt and I made stockings.  The goal is to embroider them all, but that didn't happen before Christmas.  Jonah's is embroidered, but I want to make felt trains that can be buttoned on to the stocking before it is all over.
Mary and Joseph are under the tree in a stable beside the Bethlehem that Jonah built with his middle eastern blocks (Haba).  And our nature table became the field for the shepherds for the holidays.

My Bible study looked at Proverbs this fall and we were to bring a proverb with us to our Christmas meeting/ end of Proverbs.  I brought this homemade ornament.  I remember when I was in 4th or 5th Grade and Mom was teaching my sunday school class we did a week on proverbs and we were to find a proverb and try to illustrate it.  My mom drew a picture of gold apples in a picture of silver as an example.  I've never forgotten the proverb "A word fitly spoken is like apples of Gold in pictures of Silver."  
Popcorn, oranges, apples, pinecones, branches and a little gold spray paint go a long way on a real tree in all it's imperfect glory.

No comments: