Thursday, September 12

A Circle of the Church Year

My friend Corey emailed me a picture of the circle of the church year she made to use with her children a while ago.  It was so lovely I asked if I could share it here.  I'm inspired and do believe many of you might be as well.

While I love the church years with all the wooden pieces (like this one I painted for our church in St Andrews), it simply isn't practical in a home with small toddlers.  This is a lovely alternative.  I'd love to have something like this on our godly play shelves.  (That is if I can ever find some shelves that will work; on this one item the thrift stores have left me empty handed. I may just have to make them myself.)

Photo by Corey

9 comments:

Sheila said...

That's brilliant! Thanks for sharing, Emily!

gmyo said...

I love this! I made a felt version last year, but we just arranged the felt on a board in a rectangle. And it's the same problem as wooden pieces - little felt squares scattered all over. So glad to see I could sew them down! Why don't I think of these ideas myself? Thanks for sharing!

David Owen said...

Could you explain why there are 4 arrows? Are the ones for Easter, Pentecost and Christmas stitched down and always pointing while the gold marks the actual time?

Watkins said...

David, Yes, the gold marks where we are in the church year. The two white are for Easter and Christmas and the Red is to point to Pentecost. Normally they aren't stitched down so the children can move them to point to the important days. Also, with the wooden puzzle-type circles the number of Sundays between Advent and Easter changes each year so you wouldn't want them permanently fixed in one position.
I suppose that is one down side to the stitched felt as you can't lengthen or shorten ordinary time..

Storyteller said...

How nice to see Godly Play materials for the home adapted to best practice for the family. This is surely very like the GP wall-hanging that some classrooms have. Thank you for sharing! I'm going to pin this on Pinterest if that's ok.

Storyteller said...

And I just noticed the little line that marks the Beginning of the church year! :)

EricaG said...

Nice! I think I'll try making something like this!

April@MySacredSojourn said...

I love this! May I share your photo with link back on my post about creating our own Godly Play area? Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Can you share the size of the circle? Thanks for sharing!