Wednesday, September 29

Michaelmas

Today is Michaelmas. Traditionally this was they day when a portion of the harvest was a collected by medieval Lords. It was also the day tradition attributes Lucifer being thrown from heaven into bramble bushes by the archangel Michael (and therefore no blackberries should be picked after this day).
Now it is a day to celebrate the coming of autumn and is often connected with the story of St. George and the dragon. St. George is Michael's earthly counterpart. So today we are building some traditions and will read some favorite dragon books (Puff the Magic Dragon, Hide-and-Seek Dragons, That's Not my Dragon, The Bravest Knight), share this wonderful poem, light our new dinner candle, eat dragon bread (though after rising it looks more like a chicken than a dragon), enjoy our changed nature table and will tell the story of St. George with some figures and the new Dragon I stitched from this tutorial from Rhythm of the Home.
Do you have a Michaelmas tradition? Do you have any favorite Dragon books? (I would love to add some to our collection for this day and can't wait to return to Seattle and retrieve our St. George and the Dragon - such a beautiful book!)

2 comments:

Nadja said...

Found you through Frontier Dreams...
What a nice job you did of Michaelmas.
We have that St. George book as well; in fact, I bought it when I saw that the princess was named Una (my daughter's name--and she was born on St. George, April 23rd).

Happy autumn to you!

Watkins said...

I'm glad you stopped by and I just enjoyed browsing your blog. I'm continually amazed at how many creative people are in this mama-blog world.