Thursday, April 1

Maundy Thursday

I miss going to church services thru Holy Week. We will, of course, go to Church on Easter, but the other Holy Week services at our church here are either after the boy's bedtimes or solom three hour services. So, we are making do at home, and I really like doing our own little family services.

I didn't fuss or plan much. I went up to the Godly play table ten minutes before we started tonight with towels and a tub. I grabbed "The Jesus Story Book Bible" and the "Book of Common Prayer" and that was the basis of our little service. A couple pillows, candles and an unused shelf plank later the scene was set, ready for worshiping and remembering.
(Oh, side note: we are loving the book "Peter's First Easter" that Jonah's Godmother sent him for Easter. It is illustrated by Tim Ladwig (a favorite of mine) and is a great retelling of the story. Unfortunately it is out of print, but can be found used online.)
We began the service from the traditional liturgy, had a little of the story (from the children's Bible), did some foot washing, read a little more of the story, took the bread and the cup and then ended with the traditional liturgy. It was simple, beautiful and meaningful.


3 comments:

Sarah said...

good, I'm glad to see that it made it! enjoy, Jonah!

Erica G said...

We love the Storybook Bible that I see in your picture. It is so beautifully written. I keep telling people who don't even have kids to buy that Bible! I'm going to read from it to my Sr. High Sunday School class on Easter.

Elisa said...

Peter's First Easter was Graciela's "introduction" to Easter this year! (she doesn't remember much from last year). It really is a beautiful book. It was one of the few in the Easter section at the library that I was comfortable bringing home for her. (you might like Patricia Polacco's books on Easter too, though they are not religious)