Wednesday, February 17

The journey of Lent begins

I didn't grow up with the lenten tradition, and yet, it means so much to me now. I can't imagine not using the church year to guide me. There is something about seasons and traditions that mark time and give a sense of purpose and wholeness. There is a connection with the natural year that in turn reflects the spiritual. It is a cycle that keeps drawing me inward to my own spirituality and outward to seeing the needs around me. It reflects the ebb and flow of real life in all its intangibility and contradictions. It is something I am so deeply committed to sharing with my children so that they to can find their own place among the people of God and the rest of God's good creation. We didn't make it to an ash Wednesday service today, but instead, followed the 'book of common prayer' and had our own little service at our 'godly play' table upstairs. We began by changing the cloth from green of the 'great green growing sundays' to the purple of lent and ended with ashes and confession.

.

The cross of ashes doesn't show up well in this picture, but it is there. (Jim says this image is creepy - it it my reflection in a black computer screen - you have to give a girl with a camera a little license to be creative, even if it is just weird sometimes.)

1 comment:

Dodd Family said...

I just love this and the gift of Godly Play to convey the great stories of the Bible, bringing our children closer to real understanding and practice of faith. I thought of doing a lenten family service with just us 3. Thank you for giving me an impetus on this point.